The library of Sangeet Natak Akademi is a multilingual reference Library extensively used by the students, researchers, scholars and performers in the field of performing arts. It is one of the few specialized libraries of its kind in the country, and is enriched with books, journals, newspaper clippings, printed documents of Akademi Awardees and other performing artists, photographic and audio-visual resources. The library of Sangeet Natak Akademi is a multilingual reference Library extensively used by the students, researchers, scholars and performers in the field of performing arts. It is one of the few specialized libraries of its kind in the country, and is enriched with books, journals, newspaper clippings, printed documents of Akademi Awardees and other performing artists, photographic and audio-visual resources.
Over the last sixty-seven years, the library has grown to be a centre for quality research, attracting Indian and foreign scholars, musicians, musicologists, film producers, theatre directors, choreographers, actors, folklorists, puppeteers, journalists and students in the field. It has been acknowledged in a considerable amount of published research in music, dance and drama. The Library receives about a hundred and fifty periodicals.
1. The total collection of the Library now stands at 25770 books in addition to 1970 received by way of gifts.
2. Audio-Visual Library: The collection of the Audio-Visual Library now stands at 9844 discs; 761 pre-recorded cassettes from the archives of the Akademi; 92 video cassettes of dance, drama, and music; 1602 commercial audio cassettes; 183 gifted audio cassettes and 1142 compact discs (CDs); 103 gifted compact discs (CDs); 52 video compact discs (VCDs); 36 gifted video compact discs (VCDs) of Indian music; 22 DVDs and 61 gifted DVDs.
3. Photo–Library: The collection of photographs of all the events and festivals organized by Sangeet Natak Akademi since 1954 are available in the photo library. The archive of black and white as well as colour photographs and slides of the photo library now stands at 5,78,033 and 40,443 respectively
4. Library Membership: The long-term and short-term/temporary membership of the Library has grown to 1567 and 3019 members respectively.
5. LS Web OPAC: LS Web OPAC software is being used in the library by ‘Adding on’ Web OPAC client to existing LIBSYS-10 software. This enables access of library catalogue with the help of any industry standard browser both in internet as well as intranet environment.
The catalogue contains bibliographical information regarding the collection of books, journals, article indexing of journals, gramophone records, CDs, VCDs and VHSs of the library.
Web OPAC has made searching easy and quick for users and researchers to search bibliographical database of books, articles of journals, CDs, VCDs, VHS and gramophone records. Viewers of the library are able to retrieve the vast collection of the library easily and conveniently from anywhere, anytime. Remote users are also able to search the bibliographic database of the library using their web browser.
6. Digitization: Thanks to the scanner (Zeutschel- OS 12002, Comfort, A2) installed in the library, around 5,42,589 newspaper clippings on music, dance, drama, other performing arts, etc., and 80,205 documents containing various printed information are available in the digital format and can be accessed through the in-house software.
7. Article indexing: Indexing of the articles of journals on music, dance, drama/theatre and other performing arts in Libsys Software is in progress. Article indexing of all back issues of journals available in the library is done on a regular basis. Approximate 153545 articles were documented in Libsys till the financial year 2021-22.
8. Preservation: For the preservation of books, journals and other reading material, digitization, indexation, binding, shelving, stacking and various other programmes take place at regular intervals in the Library.
Facilities Provided in the SNA Library:
The Information Resources in Digital Form:
1. Newspaper/Periodicals clippings
2. Sangeet Natak Akademi Bulletin
3. Sangeet Natak – Journal
4. Annual Reports of Sangeet Natak Akademi since 1953
5. Rare Books
The information material is disseminated through public facilities of photocopying, printouts, scanning, audio & video facility and photographs. The photographs in the archives of the photo library have also been used in the Programme Brochures of various festivals, Seminars, Calendars, Exhibitions, etc.
Timings: The library is open from 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. from Monday to Friday (except Gazetted Holidays)
Newspaper clippings pertaining to Awardees of the Akademi and eminent personalities in the field of Dance,
Drama, and Music.
Ø Membership is also valid for the Audio-Visual Library having Gramophone discs, Audio Cassettes, Video Cassettes, Compact discs pertaining to Dance, Drama and Music where listening and viewing facilities are provided.
NOTE: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFOR OPTING FOR MEMBERSHIP.
Other Regional Languages
/ Bhattacharya,Rimli. - New Delhi: Tulika Books, 2019.