1. The name of the Society shall be the "Sangeet Natak Akademi".
2. The registered office of the Society shall be at Rabindra Bhavan, Feroze Shah Road, New Delhi, in the Union Territory of Delhi.
3. The objects for which the Society is set up are:
I. to co-ordinate the activities of regional or State Academies of music, dance and drama’
II. to promote research in the fields of Indian music, dance and drama and for this purpose, to establish a library and museum, etc.
III. to co-operate with such similar academies as there may be and other institutions and associations for the furtherance of its objects and for the enrichment of Indian culture as a whole
IV. to encourage the exchange of ideas and enrichment of techniques between the different regions in regard to the arts of music, dance and drama.
V. to encourage the establishments of theatre centres, on the basis of regional languages and co-operation among different theatre centres
VI. to encourage the setting up of institutions providing training in the art of theatre, including instructions in actor's training, study of stage-craft and production of plays
VII. to encourage and assist production of new plays by awarding prizes and distinctions
VIII. to publish literature on Indian music, dance and drama including reference works such as an illustrated dictionary or handbook of technical terms
IX. to give recognition to and otherwise assist meritorious, theatrical organizations
X. to encourage the development of amateur dramatic activity, children's theatre, the open-air theatre and the rural theatre in its various forms
XI. to revive and preserve folk music, folk dance and folk drama in different regions of the country and to encourage the development of community music, martial music and other types of music
XII. to sponsor music, dance and drama festivals, seminars, conferences on an all-India basis and to encourage such regional festivals
XIII. to award prizes and distinctions and to give recognition to individual artists for outstanding achievement in the fields of music, dance and drama
XIV. to take suitable steps for the maintenance of proper and adequate standards of education in music, dance and drama and with that object to organise research in the teaching of the said subjects
XV. to foster cultural contacts between the different regions of the country and also with other countries in the fields of music, dance and drama.
XVI. to accept grants of money, securities or property, of any kind and on such terms as may seem expedient
XVII. to acquire by gift, purchase, exchange, lease, hire or otherwise howsoever any property movable or immovable which may be necessary or convenient for the purpose of the Society and to build, construct, improve, alter, demolish and repair such buildings, works and constructions as may be necessary for carrying out the objects of the Society.
XVIII. to sell, lease, exchange, hire or otherwise transfer all or any portion of the property movable and immovable of the Society, provided that prior approval in writing of the Central Government is obtained for the transfer of immovable property
XIX. to invest and deal with any moneys and securities of the Akademi not immediately required for any of its activities in such a manner as may be provided by the rules and regulations of the Society as may from time to time be determined
XX. to draw, make, accept, endorse and discount cheques, notes or other negotiable instruments
XXI. to issue appeals for funds in furtherance of the objects of the Akademi and undertake management of any endowments, trusts, funds or donations not inconsistent with the objects of the Akademi
XXII. to create any Reserve Fund, Sinking Fund, Insurance Fund or any other Special Fund whether for depreciation or for repairs, improving, extending or maintaining any of the properties or rights of the Akademi and/or for recoupment of wasting assets and for any other purposes for which the Akademi deems it expedient or proper to create or maintain any such Fund or Funds
XXIII. to take over from the Sangeet Natak Akademi which was constituted by a Resolution of the Ministry of Education, Government of India dated the 31st May, 1952 all its assets of whatsoever nature including books, films, periodicals, furniture, accounts, and all its liabilities
XXIV. to borrow and raise moneys with or without security or on the security of a mortgage, charge, or hypothecation or pledge of all or of any of the movable properties belonging to the Akademi or in any other manner whatsoever provided that prior approval in writing of the Central Government is obtained in that behalf.
XXV. to create administrative, technical, ministerial and other posts under the Akademi and to make appointments thereto in accordance with the Rules and Regulations of the Akademi
XXVI. to make Rules and Regulations and Bye-laws for the conduct of the affairs of the Akademi and to add to, amend, vary or rescind them from time to time with the approval of the Central Government
XXVII. to do all such other acts and things either alone or in conjunction with other organisations or persons as the Akademi may consider necessary, incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above said objectives.
4. The names, address and occupations of the first members of the Executive Board of the Akademi to whom, by the rules of the Akademi, the management of affairs is entrusted are as follows:
|H.H Maharaja Shri Jaya Chamaraja Wadiyar Bahadur||The Palace, Mysore||Governor of Mysore|
|T. L. Venkatarama Aiyar||5 Safdarjung Road, New Delhi||Chairman, Law Commission|
|S. N. Mozumdar||51 Golf Links New Delhi||Industrial Consultant|
|N.R.Ray||33 Western Court, New Delhi||Member of Parliament|
|Dharma Vira||3 Tyagaraja Marg, New Delhi||Secretary to the Govt.of India|
|A.K. Ghosh||5 Purana Qila Rd, New Delhi||Joint Secretary to the Govt of India|
|J. C. Mathur||12 Lytton Lane, New Delhi||Joint Secretary to the Govt of India|
|A. V. Venkateswaran||I-A Sunehri Bagh Road, New Delhi||Joint Secretary to the Govt of India|
I. All property of the Akademi, movable and immovable shall vest in the Executive Board.
II. The income and property of the Akademi, however derived, shall be applied towards the promotion of the objects as set forth in this Memorandum of Association, subject, nevertheless, in respect of the expenditure of grants made by the Government of India to such limitations as the Government of India may from time to time impose. No portion of the income and property of the Akademi shall be paid or transferred directly or indirectly by way of dividends, bonus or otherwise howsoever by way of profit to persons who at any time are or have been members of the Akademi, or to any of them, or to any persons claiming through them or any of them, provided that nothing herein shall prevent the payment in good faith of remuneration to any member or other person in return for service rendered to the Akademi, or for travelling allowance, halting allowance and other similar charges.
III. The Akademi shall be deemed to have been entrusted with the functions of the Sangeet Natak Akademi constituted by a Resolution dated the 31st May, 1952 of the Ministry of Education, Government of India with effect from the date it is registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
IV. If on the winding up or dissolution of the Society there shall remain after the satisfaction of all its debts and liabilities any property whatsoever, the same shall not be paid to or distributed among the members of the Society or any of them, but shall be dealt with in the manner provided by section 13 and 14 of Act XXI of 1860.
V. A copy of the rules and regulations of the Akademi certified to be correct by three members of the Executive Board is filed with the Registrar of the Joint Stock Companies, New Delhi, along with the Memorandum of Association.
Rules and Regulations
1 Short Title
These Rules and Regulations may be called "Rules and Regulations of the Sangeet Natak Akademi."
2 The Sangeet Natak Akademi shall be the National Academy of Music, Dance and Drama for India.
In these Rules and Regulations unless the context otherwise requires
I. the 'Akademi' shall mean the Sangeet Natak Akademi
II. The 'General Council' shall mean the entire body of members constituting the Sangeet Natak Akademi
III. The 'Board' shall mean the Executive Board constituted as such under these Rules -
Words importing the singular number only include the plural number and vice-versa
Words importing the masculine gender also include the feminine gender
4. Members of the Akademi
The Akademi shall consist of the following members (hereinafter collectively referred to as 'the General Council') namely:-
I. Chairman to be appointed by the President of India
II. Financial Adviser to be appointed by the Government of India
III. Five persons nominated by the Government of India
IV. One eminent person in the field of performing arts nominated by each of the States and Union Territories enumerated in the Constitution of India in consultation with the State Akademies or equivalent institutions.
V. One representative of the Department of Culture to be nominated by the Government of India
VI. One representative of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to be nominated by the Government of India
VII. Two representatives from each of the two Akademies namely, the Sahitya Akademi and the Lalit Kala Akademi and one each from National School of Drama and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations, New Delhi.
VIII. Twelve persons to be co-opted by the members mentioned in items i to vii above in consultation with organisations in the fields of music, dance and drama recognised by the Akademi for this purpose in accordance with the rules to be framed by the Akademi provided that the rules should be so framed as to ensure, wherever possible, the representation of:
a. not less than two persons with adequate knowledge of Hindustani music
b. not less than two persons with adequate knowledge of Carnatic music
c. not less than two persons with adequate knowledge of dance
d. not less than two persons with adequate knowledge of drama
IX. Eight eminent persons in the fields of music, dance and drama from different regions of India to be co-opted in their individual capacity by the members mentioned in items i to vii above The General Council shall continue for five years from the date appointed for its first meeting of the nominated/appointed members and the expiration of such five years shall operate as a dissolution of the General Council.
5. Roll of Members
The Akademi shall keep a roll of members giving their addresses and occupations and every member shall sign the same. If a member of the Akademi changes his address he shall notify his new address to the Secretary, who shall thereupon enter his new address in the roll of members. If the member fails to notify his new address, the address in the roll of members shall be deemed to be this address.
6. Officers of the Akademi
The following shall be the officers of the Akademi, namely:
III. Financial Advise and
I. The Chairman shall be appointed by the President of India and shall hold office for a term of five years.
II. The Chairman shall have the powers to take decisions on behalf of the General Councilor Executive Board when circumstances so warrant subject to the condition that the decision taken by the Chairman would need to be ratified by the General Councilor the xecutive Board as the case may be at its next meeting.
III. The Chairman may delegate such of his powers as he may consider necessary to the Vice Chairman or to the Secretary.
8. Vice-Chairman The Vice-Chairman shall be elected by the General Council of the Akademi from among its members and shall hold office for five years. But the first Vice-Chairman shall be appointed by the Government of India.
the Vice-Chairman shall, in the absence of the Chairman for whatever reason, exercise all the functions and power of the Chairman.
9. Financial Adviser The Financial Adviser shall be appointed by the Government of India and shall hold such office at the pleasure of the said Government. The Financial Adviser shall generally advise the Akademi in all matters relating to the management of the properties and nvestments of the Akademi, preparation of the annual estimates and statements of accounts and the expenditure of funds for the purpose for which they have been granted or allotted.
in order to ensure efficient management of the finances of the Akademi, the Financial Adviser shall have the following powers and functions, namely :-
a. to examine and scrutinise the budget of the Akademi prepared by the Secretary
b. to consider all proposals for new expenditurec. to consider the audit report
d to revise the finances of the Akademi from time to time, ande. to give advice on any financial question affecting the Akademi either on his own initiative or at the instance of the Secretary or anyof the bodies of the Akademi.
I. The Secretary shall be the Principal Executive Officer of the Akademi and he shall be appointed by the Executive Board for such period and on such terms and conditions as the Executive Board may determine. II. The Secretary shall be the ex-officio Secretary of the General Council, the Executive Board, the Finance Committee and all other Committee which may be set up by the Chairman, the General Councilor the Executive Board, but shall not be deemed to be a ember of any of those authorities.
III. It shall be the duty of the Secretarya) to be the custodian of the records and such other property of the Akademi as the Executive Board may commit to his charge
b) to conduct the official correspondence on behalf of the authorities of the Akademi c) to issue all notices convening meeting of authorities of the Akademi and of all committees appointed by any of those authorities.
d) to keep the minutes of all meetings of the authorities of the Akademi and of all committees appointed by any of those authorities.e) to maintain accounts of the Akademi
f) subject to the control of the Executive Board, to manage the property and investments of the Akademi and be responsible for the reparation of the annual estimates and statements of accounts and for their presentation to the Executive Board and the General Council
g) subject to the powers of the Executive Board, to be responsible for seeing that all moneys are expended on the purposes for which they are granted or allotted
h) to sign all contracts and assurances of property made on behalf of the Akademi after the same have been approved by the Executive Board
i) to exercise such other powers as may be assigned to him by the Executive Board or the General Council
iv. The receipt of the Secretary or the person duly authorised in this behalf by the Executive Board for any moneys paid into the Akademi shall be sufficient discharge for the same.
11. Authorities of the Akademi
The following shall be the authorities of the Akademi, namely
a. The General Council
b. The Executive Board
c. The Finance Committee and
d. Any other Standing Committee or Committees or Sub- Committees which the Chairman, the General Councilor the
Executive Board may set up for discharging any one or more of their functions.
12. General Council
a. The General Council shall have the following powers and functions, namely
I. to elect a Vice-Chairman from among their members
II. to elect members of the Executive Board in accordance with paragraph 14 (v)
III. to elect members of the Finance Committee in accordance with paragraph 16 (iii)
IV. to approve the annual budget of the Akademi drawn up by the Executive Board
V. to nominate the auditors
VI. to elect, by a majority of at least three-fourths of the members present and voting, artists of outstanding merit in the fields of music, dance and drama or such persons as have rendered outstanding service to the cause of music, dance and drama through their scholarship, research or original contributions as Fellows of the Akademi, provided they have been recommended for election by the Executive Board and provided further the number of Fellows shall at no time exceed 30
VII. to elect by a majority of at least three-fourths of the members present and voting such persons as have rendered distinguished service to Indian music, dance or drama as Associate Fellows of the Akademi, provided that the number of Associate Fellows shall at no time exceed 60, and provided further that they have been recommended for election by the Executive Board.
VIII. to consider important dance, drama and music organisations in the country which are to be recognised
IX. to consider and approve programmes and specific projects proposed by the Executive Board
X. to frame its regulations, by-laws and rules of procedure
XI. subject to the provisions of these rules,
a. To do any and all such other acts as may be necessary for the maintenance of the organization and performance of the functions of the Akademi.
b. In the discharge of its functions the General Council shall be guided by such directions on questions of policy as may be given to it by the Central Government. The decision-of the Central Government as to whether a question is or is not one of policy shall be final.
13. Executive Board
The general superintendence, direction and control of the affairs of the Akademi shall be vested in the Executive Board of the Akademi which shall be the Governing Body of the Akademi.
14. The Executive Board of the Akademi for the purposes of Act 21 of 1860 shall at the date of registration of the Society consist of the members whose names are set out in clause 4 of Memorandum of Association and thereafter as soon as the necessary elections, appointments and nominations have taken place shall consist of the ffollowing, namely :-
III. Financial Adviser
IV. Two members nominated by the Government of India from among their nominees on the General Council and therepresentative of the Ministry of Education
V. Eleven persons to be elected by the General Council from among the members
Provided that if any member of the Executive Board ceases to be a member of the General Council he shall automatically cease to be member of the Executive Board.
15. The Executive Board shall have the following powers and functions, namely ;-
I. to exercise the executive authority of the Akademi subject to policy directives of the General Council
II. to be responsible for the supervision and control of the work of the Akademi and of its office
III. to consider and prepare programme of the Akademi and specific projects for the consideration and approval of the General Council
IV. to draw up the annual budget of the Akademi subject to the financial limits prescribed by the Finance Committee, to be submitted for approval of the General Council
V. to prepare the annual report and accounts of the Akademi for the consideration of the General Council
VI. to consider and propose to the General Council names for election as Fellows and Associate Fellows of the Akademi
VII. subject to the approval of the General Council to incur expenditure on the establishment as a whole, to create such posts as it may consider necessary for carrying on the work of the Akademi and to prescribe the terms and conditions of appointment to these posts; provided that only the posts the maximum pay which exceeds Rs 2,000 per month may be created and filled with the approval of the Government of India
VIII. to incur all expenditure subject to the provision of the approved budget, the rules prescribed from time to time and policy directives of the General Council
IX. to appoint the Secretary of the Akademi and other members of the staff, except those the power to appoint whom is delegated to the Secretary
X. to consider and propose to the General Council names of important organisations and institutions working in the fields of music, dance and drama, which are deserving of recognition by the Akademi by virtue of their bona fide character and important contribution to the promotion of any of these arts
XI. subject to the limits of the budget and the policy directives, if any, of the General Council, to grant financial or other assistance to cultural organisations and institutions in the fields of dance, drama and music
XII. to nominate a person or persons to represent the Akademi in national and international conferences and organisations
XIII. to prescribe the terms and conditions of service in respect of all posts under the control of the Akademi
XIV. to elect one representative to the Finance Committee in accordance with clause 16 (iv) and
XV. subject to the provisions of these Rules and Regulations, to do any and all such other acts as may in its opinion be necessary for the proper management of the affairs of the Akademi.
16. Finance Committee
The Finance Committee shall consist of the following members, namely :-
I. The Financial Adviser, who shall be Chairman of the Committee
II. One nominee of the Central Government from among their nominees on the General Council
III. Two representatives of the General Council who shall be elected by the Council from among its members and
IV. One representative of the Executive Board, who shall be elected by the Board from among the members
17. The Finance Committee shall consider the budget estimates of the Akademi, make recommendations thereon to the Executive Board and prescribed the limit for total expenditure within a financial year.
18. Meetings of the General Council and the Executive Board
The General Council of the Akademi shall ordinarily meet once in every calendar year at a place and on a date to be fixed by the Chairman. A special meeting of the General Council may be called at any other time by the Executive Board or by the Chairman, either on his own initiative or at the request of not less than two-thirds of the members of the General Council.
19. Ten members of the Akademi shall constitute a quorum at any meeting of the General Council of the Akademi.
20. In case of difference of opinion among the members, the opinion of the majority shall prevail.
21. Each member of the Akademi, including the Chairman, shall have one vote and if there be equality of votes on any question to be determined by the Akademi, the Chairman shall in addition have and exercise a casting vote.
22. Every meeting of the General Council of the Akademi shall be presided over by the Chairman, in his absence, by the Vice-Chairman and in the absence of both, by a member chose by the members present on the occasion.
23. The Executive Board shall meet on a date and place, fixed by the Chairman, ordinarily at least once in every six months, fifteen day's notice shall be given of any such meeting.
24. Four members of the Board present shall constitute a quorum at any meeting of the Board. In case of difference of opinion among the members of the Board, the opinion of the majority shall prevail.
25. Each member of the Board, including the Chairman shall have one vote and if there be equaliry of votes on any question to be determined by the Board, the Chairman shall in addition have and exercise a casting vote.
26. Every meeting of the Board shall be presided over by the Chairman, in his absence by the Vice-Chairman and in the absence of both by a member chosen by the members present on the occasion.
27. Should any member of the Akademi who has been nominated by the Government of India ex-officio be prevented from attending a meeting of the Akademi or the Executive Board, he shall be at liberty to appoint and authorize a representative to take his place at that meeting of the Akademi or the Board, as the case may be, and such representative shall have all the rights and privileges of a member of the Akademi or of the Board for that meeting only.
Where a member of the Akademi has been appointed or nominated by reason of the office he holds, his membership shall terminate when he ceases to hold that office.
29. A member of the Akademi shall cease to be a member if he shall die, resign, become of unsound mind, has been adjudged insolvent or be convicted of a criminal offence involving moral turpitude or accepts a full-time appointment on the staff of the Akademi or fails to attend three consecutive meetings of the Akademi without leave of Chairman.
A member of the Executive Board or the Finance Committee or any other body of the Akademi shall cease to be a member of such a body if he fails to attend three consecutive meetings thereof without leave of the Chairman concerned.
30.The Chairman may resign his office by a letter addressed to the Government of India and his resignation shall take effect from the date it is accepted by the said Government.
31. Any member of the Akademi, including the ex-officio members, may resign his office by a letter addressed to the chairman and such resignation shall take effect from the date it is accepted by the Chairman.
32. Any vacancy in the General Council in the group of twelve persons co-opted under the rule 4(viii) or in the group of eight eminent persons co-opted under Rule 4(ix) may be filled up by the Executive Board in consultation with the remaining members of the group concerned and the matter reported at the next meeting of the General Council. Any other vacancy in the General Council shall be filled up by appointment or nomination by the respective authority entitled to make such appointment or nomination. The term and office of a member so appointed, nominated or co-opted shall continue only for the remainder of the term of the General Council.
33. Any vacancy in the Executive Board or in the Finance Committee in the group of members elected by the General Council may be filled up by the remaining members of the Executive Board by election from among the members of the General Council. Any other vacancy in the Executive Board or in the Finance Committee shall be filled up by appointment, nomination or election by the respective authority entitled to make such appointment, nomination or election. The term and office of a member so appointed, nominated or elected shall continue only for the remainder of the term of the member in whose place he has been appointed, nominated or elected.
34. The General Councilor the Executive Board shall function notwithstanding any vacancy therein and notwithstanding any defect in the appointment, nomination, co-option or election of any member and no act or proceeding of the General Council or of the Executive Board shall be invalidated or nullified merely by reason only of the existence of any vacancy therein or of any defect in the appointment, nomination, co-option or election of any member.
Any business which it may be necessary for the General Councilor the Executive Board to perform may be carried out by circulation among all its members and any resolution so circulated and approved by a majority of the members in circulation shall be effectual and binding as if such a resolution had been passed by a meeting of the Akademi or the Board.
36. The Executive Board may by resolution appoint subcommittees for such purposes and with such powers as the Board may think fit with power to co-opt provided that in cases of emergency, the Chairman shall have the power to appoint such sub-committees.
37. The Board may by resolution delegate to a Committee or the Chairman such of its powers for the conduct of the business of the Akademi as it may deem fit subject to the condition that action taken by any Committee or the Chairman under the powers delegated to them by this rule shall be placed for confirmation at the next meeting of the Board.
38. The Akademi shall maintain proper accounts and shall submit annually within six months of the closing of the previous financial year to the Central Government a report on the working of the Akademi in the previous year together with an audited statement of accounts, showing the receipts and expenditure in the previous year to enable the Government to place them before both Houses of Parliament. 39. Any rule made or decision taken by the Executive Board or by any other authority of the Akademi may be amended or set aside by the General Council
40. The Executive Board shall have the power to make byelaws for the regulations of the procedure of the meetings of the General Council, of the Executive Board, of the Finance Committee and of the several committees appointed ih accordance with the rules above mentioned.
i. Subject to the provisions of the Societies Registration Act, 1860 and subject to the prior approval of the Government of India the General Council may alter, extend or abridge any purpose or purposes for which the Akademi is established.
ii. Subject to the approval of the Government of India, General Council may alter the Rules and Regulations of the Akademi at any time by a resolution passed by a majority of three-fourths of the members present and voting at any meeting of the General Council which shall have been convened for the purpose after giving due notice of such resolution to the members of the General Council.
42. The Executive Board shall provide a seal, also provide its safe custody and the seal shall never be used except by the authority of the Executive Board previously given and one member of the Executive Board shall sign every instrument to which the seal is affixed and every such instrument shall be countersigned by the Secretary or by some other person appointed by the Executive Board.
43. For the purpose of section 6 of the Societies Registration Act, 1860 the person in whose name the Akademi may sue or be sued shall be the Secretary of the Akademi.
44. The Secretary, officials and members of the staff already appointed by the Sangeet Natak Akademi constituted by the Resolution of the Ministry of Education, Government of India dated the 31st May, 1952 before the registration of the Akademi shall be deemed to have been appointed to their respective posts by the Akademi after its registration, on the same terms and conditions as they were originally appointed under the Sangeet Natak Akademi and shall be entitled to such increments, if any, to which they would have been entitled if they continued to be under the employment of the Sangeet Natak Akademi constituted by the aforesaid resolution.
Sangeet Natak Akademi is registered under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 vide No. S. 1849 of 1961-62.